Wednesday, October 24, 2012

566. The Wicker Man (1973)


Running Time: 88 minutes
Directed By: Robin Hardy

Written By: Anthony Shaffer
Main Cast: Edward Woodward, Christopher Lee, Diane Cilento, Britt Ekland, Ingrid Pitt
Click here to view the trailer

FRIGHTFEST 2012: PART 1

Originally I was going to do this year's "Frightfest" as a one day movie marathon, but, at the last minute, decided to spread the five horror movies that I have scheduled out, over the course of the next week. I kicked things off with a movie that was remade in 2006, to much less acclaim - "The Wicker Man".


The film begins with a small plane flying over a body of water and approaching an island, that we'll later be able to identify as Summerisle. We learn that the plane is carrying Sergeant Howie (Woodward), who is coming to the island on official business after receiving a letter requesting his presence, to help solve the disappearance of Rowan Morrison. Sergeant Howie is welcomed to the island, but coldly and without open arms. When he passes a picture of Rowan around to the elder men, waiting for him at the docks, they all deny ever seeing Rowan Morrison and guarantee that she "isn't one of theirs". However, they do acknowledge that the woman claiming to be her mother, in the letter, runs the local post office. When Howie goes to see her, she denies having a daughter named Rowan and introduces the Sergeant to her actual daughter. At every turn, Sergeant Howie is met with resistance from the locals, with everyone denying even the existence of Rowan Morrison. Meanwhile, Sergeant Howie finds much in the way of strange behavior on the island of Summerisle, an island that seems to be obsessed with worshiping sex, nature and pagan Gods. Howie struggles with this because he is a Christian man and is set in his beliefs.


This was a rather mild way to kickoff this year's "Frightfest", but it's better to start small and work our way up. I say "small" not because of the stature or quality of the film, but because I wouldn't necessarily group it with traditional horror films.  For me, the most appealing part of "The Wicker Man" was that it was both a horror movie and a murder mystery and took both of those elements very seriously, never selling out the murder mystery element for a cheap thrill. The film is also quite unlike a traditional horror film because the acting is actually top notch. Christopher Lee, who would go on years later to find fame in the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, has cited Lord Summerisle as his most favorite character and "The Wicker Man" as his best movie. Edward Woodward was also very good as Sergeant Howie and despite not knowing him beforehand, I can't imagine anyone else doing a more convincing job.


It surprised me to see how odd this film was and realize that Hollywood actually attempted to remake this one, starring Nicolas Cage. I'd actually like to see that version, just to witness the inevitable car crash that it must be. This will not be an easy film to forget. Certain scenes were more shocking than scary - naked women crying and having orgies in the cemetary, Britt Ekland dancing naked in her bedroom, festival goers wearing animal heads as symbolism. If I had to complain about anything (which I do), I've got to say that I hated all the musical numbers. After a while it just got really annoying and had they cut down on that, I'd have received it a lot better. Also, if I wanted to (which I don't), I could choose to rip apart the ending. If I wanted to, I could say that it was too unbelievable that they'd summon Sergeant Howie to Summerisle just to sacrifice him to their Gods. If that were the case and Rowan was never missing, then why didn't they all just jump on him, as soon as he got off his plane, tie him up and hold him until the May Day Celebrations? Why did they allow him to investigate a fake disappearance and be forced to deal with his questioning and peeking into their rituals and habits? I mean, it was an entire island of them against one of them! But, I'm not going to do that, because what's a good movie without the suspension of disbelief. It wasn't THAT unbelievable and because you have to, I just went with it. Everything else is pretty spot on though, the ending totally worked for me, the acting was superb (which is rare for a horror film) and it will be a very hard film to try and forget...not that I'd want to.

RATING: 7/10  We'll play it safe for now, but I could see that rating rising with the upcoming monthly RECAP.

MOVIES WATCHED: 558
MOVIES LEFT TO WATCH: 443

October 24, 2012  10:24am

8 comments:

  1. One of the weirdest movies I've ever seen! :)

    sandra84

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very weird indeed, but that's why I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly, that's the reason why I liked it too,
    especially the first half, where we have no idea what's going on in this town.
    - sandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A hello to Sandra..
      Glad you like it as well, and good to see other people adding to Andrews blog.
      Ray

      Delete
  4. Exactly. You should also check out "Sleuth" and "Frenzy", written by the same man as this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw already Sleuth and Frenzy (and I liked both), but I didn't know it was written by the same person. Interesting! -Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now this is a surprise. For some reason I'd have guessed this one scoring a miss for you, so I am doubly delighted to see you liked it.
    Yes, sure, there are plot holes galore in it, but it makes a fine story to tell.
    I THINK the reason they didn't just jump him on arrival, is covered by a comment they made to him about ' You had to come here of your own free will'. If they had just kept him tied up in a cellar for a couple of days, that may have diluted the 'free will' effect - but then in his last few moments he wasn't exactly going 'Oh wonderful, this is a fun end to the perfect day', so I doubt that is all that valid as an explanation.
    You may also have guessed that for me this is a 9.5 / 10, with just a minor deduction for some of the poorer music bits. (generaly though, I liked them).
    I have the 2 disc version with the deleated bits put back in.
    You get an opening bit, on the mainland, where we learn in words of one sylable that Howie is a very devout christian (we see him in Church), that he is engaged, but refuses to think about sex before the wedding, and that the other police find him a bit of a pain as he is always stressing his beliefs to them all. We learn the very straight demenor he was is not just professional when dealing with the 'Natives' - he is a dour up tight missery guts all the time, including with his fiance.
    You also get a rather strange 'Hot snail-on-snail sex action scene'..When Brit Eckland is sent to seduce him, Lord Summer Isle is out side singing a seductive, sexualy ovious (but not crude) folk song, and this is illustrated by two snails mating. Very strange, - worth seeing once, but well missed out from the final cut.
    You also get a very good commentary track with Lee, Hardy, and someone else I forget telling the whole tragic story of the butchering and almost total loss of this film. We learn there are still other missing scenes to be found.
    I have been to where it was filmed.. or at least bits of it. The headland is (as the crow flies) quite near to where I live, except for a large estury.
    To my shame I have seen the Nic Cage remake. It is awful beyond words.
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like car crashes, I find it hard to look away from remakes. I kind of WANT to see the obvious train wreck that awaits my eyes. Therefore, SOMEDAY, I'd like to see the Nic Cage version, but no full well that I'll probably hate it.

      It's funny, when I finished this one, I said to my wife "IT was okay....not bad...decent" with mild enthusiasm over it. Then, when it came TOP 20 making time and I was thinking about everything for weeks leading up the making of the list, all I could think about was "I hope I can squeeze The Wicker Man in there somewhere". In the end, it was #8 and in retrospect, my ho-hum attitude toward it was certainly uncalled for. A completely original and seriously creepy piece of horror fiction.

      Delete

Sins of Omission - Entry #94: ZODIAC (2007)

Running Time: 157 minutes Directed By: David Fincher  Written By: James Vanderbilt, based on the book by Robert Graysmith Main Cast : Jake...