Saturday, August 15, 2015

THE FINAL 50

We've gotten down to the nittiest of gritties here and I figured I'd throw you guys a quick post and let you know what's left, for those of you not playing along at home and who may have lost track of the 951 that I have watched and the fifty I haven't. So nothing special here, just a simple list of the fifty that remain. The plan is still to have EVERYTHING finished up by October 31st a.k.a. THE MARCH TO HALLOWEEN.

Like I've been saying for several weeks now, the plan is also to watch these movies in order from longest to shortest so that I'm not left with a big group of two plus hour movies when we get to the end. By my count, I only have fifteen movies left that are over two hours and then it should be all downhill, as the rest would all be below two hours.

Anyway...here's the list, in chronological order:

1. The African Queen (1951 - John Huston)
2. Umberto D. (1952 - Vittorio De Sica)
3. The Golden Coach (1953 - Jean Renoir)
4. Madame de... (1953 - Max Ophuls)
5. The Naked Spur (1953 - Anthony Mann)
6. Tales of Ugetsu (1953 - Kenji Mizoguchi)
7. Senso (1954 - Luchino Visconti)
8. Sansho the Bailiff (1954 - Kenji Mizoguchi)
9. Ordet (1955 - Carl Theodor Dreyer)
10. The Burmese Harp (1956 - Kon Ichikawa)
11. The Searchers (1956 - John Ford)
12. Throne of Blood (1957 - Akira Kurosawa)
13. Man of the West (1958 - Anthony Mann)
14. Shadows (1959 - John Cassavetes)
15. The Young One (1960 - Luis Bunuel)
16. The Cloud-Capped Star (1960 - Ritwik Ghatak)
17. Viridiana (1961 - Luis Bunuel)
18. An Actor's Revenge (1963 - Kon Ichikawa)
19. Before the Revolution (1964 - Bernardo Bertolucci)
20. Onibaba (1964 - Kaneto Shindo)
21. Subarnarekha (1965 - Ritwik Ghatak)
22. Viy (1967 - Ershov, Kropachyov)
23. Faces (1968 - John Cassavetes)
24. The Wild Bunch (1969 - Sam Peckinpah)
25. Tristana (1970 - Luis Bunuel)
26. The Spider's Stratagem (1970 - Bernardo Bertolucci)
27. Walkabout (1971 - Nicholas Roeg)
28. The Last Picture Show (1971 - Peter Bogdanovich)
29. Straw Dogs (1971 - Sam Peckinpah)
30. Super Fly (1972 - Gordon Parks Jr.)
31. American Graffiti (1973 - George Lucas)
32. Fantastic Planet (1973 - Rene Laloux)
33. Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (1973 - Sam Peckinpah)
34. Dersu Uzala (1974 - Akira Kurosawa)
35. A Woman Under the Influence (1974 - John Cassavetes)
36. Young Frankenstein (1974 - Mel Brooks)
37. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975 - Gilliam, Jones)
38. Manila in the Claws of Brightness (1975 - Lino Brocka)
39. The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (1976 - John Cassavetes)
40. The Last Wave (1977 - Peter Weir)
41. Last Chants for a Slow Dance (1977 - Jon Jost)
42. Man of Marble (1977 - Andrzej Wajda)
43. Killer of Sheep (1977 - Charles Burnett)
44. Five Deadly Venoms (1978 - Chah Chang)
45. Life of Brian (1979 - Terry Jones)
46. Man of Iron (1981 - Andrzej Wajda)
47. Yol (1982 - Goren, Guney)
48. Fitzcarraldo (1982 - Werner Herzog)
49. El Norte (1983 - Gregory Nava)
50. Peking Opera Blues (1986 - Hark Tsui)

---

The big event in this final fifty will be CASSAVETES WEEK, a man who's work I've NEVER seen and someone who's work I've always wanted to see, but just never got around to it. It also looks like a PECKINPAH HAT TRICK, a MIZOGUCHI HAT TRICK and a BUNUEL HAT TRICK could be in order, as well as DOUBLE SHOTS for the Monty Python gang and Anthony Mann. So even though we're down to the bare bones here, we still have some heavy hitters and quite a few with promise, as well as my final shot at a good BOGART film in The African Queen. We've also got two more from KUROSAWA and films from the likes of JOHN FORD, JEAN RENOIR, VITTORIO DE SICA, GEORGE LUCAS, BERNARDO BERTOLUCCI, MEL BROOKS and of course, one more from WERNER HERZOG. It's going to be an exciting couple of month as I take in some more classics and set my sights on the finish line. Join me, won't you?


4 comments:

  1. Oh my God... it's kinda sad. You know, I was wondering, what are you gonna do after you finish this? I mean, I can't believe you'll just disappear. By the way, you still have 1001 albums to finish, don't you? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is kind of sad isn't it?

      Yeah, I definitely have some plans for after I'm through, but I'm still working all that out. I definitely won't just be disappearing.

      Yes, I do still have the 1001 Albums list, but I used to listen to those on my lunch hour and the time I'd have to wait before punching in, in the morning and in the last year, I've taken to reading during those times, so I just don't have the time anymore. However, I will be finishing up the 1001 Movies, so maybe I can make the time

      Plans are definitely being made Michael. Thanks for taking an interest.

      Delete
  2. Have you decided what you're leaving for the last one yet, or are you just gonna let it happen?

    An interesting bunch, for sure. There's sure to be some hidden gems in there. YOL comes to mind as something I remember really liking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, in the beginning, the final film was always going to be Pulp Fiction, because before I started this, it was always the movie I considered my favorite. Then it turned into just saving 10 or 15 that are considered all time classics, but I think I've pretty much watched all the true classics that there are to watch. So at this point, it'll probably just be something random.

      Yes, I have high hopes for this final 50, especially the Cassavetes films.

      Delete

Sins of Omission - Entry #94: ZODIAC (2007)

Running Time: 157 minutes Directed By: David Fincher  Written By: James Vanderbilt, based on the book by Robert Graysmith Main Cast : Jake...