Friday, March 5, 2010

129. Ninotchka (1939)

Running Time: 110 minutes
Directed By: Ernst Lubitsch
Written By: Melchior Lengyel, Charles Brackett
Main Cast: Greta Garbo, Melvyn Douglas, Ina Claire, Sig Ruman, Felix Bressart, Alexander Granach

Sidenote: The "Angles with Dirty Faces" review has finally been written, after Netflix finally shipped the movie and I got the chance to watch it. The review can be found by clicking here.

IS THERE ANYTHING WORSE THAN AN UN-FUNNY COMEDY?

I don't know what it is about Greta Garbo, but I find her very unappealing and very boring, even when put into a so-called comedy like "Ninotchka".

When three Russians, Iranoff, Buljanoff and Kopalski, come to Paris to sell jewelry that was confiscated during the Russian Revolution, they find themselves swept off their feet by the luxuries of France. They start out by opting for a larger, grander room at a swankier hotel, as they are enamored by the fact that three simple bell rings, will bring a French maid right to their suite. When they finally get a buyer to show interest in the jewels, they are stopped by a court injunction, presented by Count Leon d'Algout (Douglas), representing Grand Duchess Swana, who claims that they jewelry was stolen from her. Thus the three men are at a stalemate, unable to sell the jewels until the court order is settled. Enter Nina Ivanovna Yakushova a.k.a. Ninotchka (Garbo), who is sent in by the Soviets to retrieve the three men and proceed with the selling of the jewelry.

Ninotchka first plans to become acquainted with the city of Paris, and while doing so one evening, meets Count Leon, who immediately is swooned by her. The Count offers her his company as she travels to the Eiffel Tower, where their romance buds even further, despite a cold shoulder from the straight faced and serious Ninotchka. The Count continues to work her over, trying to win her heart over and over again, but failing just as much. At one point he parks himself beside her at a restaurant and tells her that he will not leave her alone, until she laughs. He tells her several amusing antecdotes, until finally the sight of The Count falling out of his chair, and crashing through the table behind him, puts Ninotchka into stitches. They eventually realize who one another represents, with The Count representing one party for the stolen jewels and Ninotchka representing Russia. Despite all of those details, they still fall in love and The Count sweeps Ninotchka off her feet...that is, until Grand Duchess Swana sticks her nose in the center of things, citing that if Ninotchka returns to Russia, that she'll give up the jewels. All that Ninotchka will have to give up is Count Leon.

I don't know what it is guys, but Greta Garbo just bores me to tears and has an amazing ability to lull me to sleep, lest I fight to keep my eyes open. I've really tried now to enjoy three of her films, and three times she's failed to give me any satisfaction from her movies. If you're a Garbo fan and you're reading this, then more power to you and I'm glad you're able to find appealing qualities in the woman, that I just can't seem to realize. As for this picture, eventhough we were dealing with comedy, this film barely made me crach a smile and to me, it was just the same old, boring Garbo flick, that I wanted to see end more than anything. As for one note of goodness, I found Melvyn Douglas to be quite the charming actor and on those rare occasions where I did crack a smile or a chuckle, they usually were the result of something delivered by Douglas. The three Russians were semi-amusing too and to tell the truth, I actually did crack up near the beginning when they were ordering room service, and all we could hear were their bellows outside the room, when they surely spotted the French maids. As for everything else, I'm glad it's over and I'll happily move on, leaving Garbo and her mind numbing films in the dust.

RATING: 3.5/10 Melvyn Douglas was a new find, except what I really need to find is a suitable picture that showcases his talents.

NEXT UP: The Rules of the Game...Now here is a movie that I'm looking forward to, as I've heard amazing things about Renoir's 'Game'. Review should be up later tonight.

March 5, 2010 6:12pm

8 comments:

  1. Movieman,

    I love your take-no-prisoners attitude to the "classics". Too many won't "tell like it is" out of fear or brainwashing. BTW, I disagree on your review to this extent - I think the problem is Douglas not Garbo. Plus, the last part drags on way too long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, couldn't disagree with you more. This is one of Ernst Lubitsch's finest films(he also made Trouble in Paradise & Shop Around the Corner) Billy Wilder says he learned everything about comedy from Lubitsch. It sounds like you made up your mind not to like this film beforehand just because of Garbo's presence. Your ratings are very unpredictable, I would have thought since you liked My Man Godfrey & Bringing Up Baby, this would be up your alley.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments folks and I respect your opinions. I, unfortunately, just found this film very un-funny, as opposed to Bringing Up Baby and My Man Godfrey, which were comedic, but also clever, two traits that I didn't find in Ninotchka. I really wanted to like this one, I wanted to find the appeal that so many people find in Garbo and I was hoping that her in a comedy could do something to change my opinion of her...but it didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. did you watch Libeled Lady yet? I'm almost scared to ask what you thought...

    I'm sure the imdb crowd would love to hear your Ninotchka review. I think there was a thread there a while back where someone said Douglas ruined the movie for them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wcurry,

    Havent gotten around to watching Libeled Lady yet...but soon

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would agree with you on certain aspects, Garbo was a bored, but I was not to impressed with Douglas either. All in all I was pretty well bored by this movie as a whole!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My twopenneth (anyone US side understand that?) is this is the best Garbo film I've see.
    But see comments on 'Queen Christina' etc to realise that says nothing much.
    Suyre, nowhere near as good as BUB, MMG etc.
    Ray
    (By the way, are there any other non USA people in this group?)
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  8. I took a lot of heat for that rating. Probably the most heat I've ever taken on a review, but I stand by it! Thanks for the comments Ray...Loving them!

    ReplyDelete

Sins of Omission - Entry #94: ZODIAC (2007)

Running Time: 157 minutes Directed By: David Fincher  Written By: James Vanderbilt, based on the book by Robert Graysmith Main Cast : Jake...