Sunday, March 7, 2010

BIG UPDATE

So I felt the need to pop in here and update the small, but awesome crowd that occupies my blog. I guess I'll start by directly addressing said crowd and say...Thank You. If you're a regular reader or commenter here, then my heartfelt thanks belongs to you. If you're taking time out of your schedules to read and sometimes comment on what I wrote, that means a whole lot to me and again I say...Thank You!

A SHORT BREAK

I'll be taking a very short break from the '1001' book, now that the 1930s are wrapped up. I've been planning this for a long time now and it's probably going to be a break that lasts for about two weeks, give or take. For a while now, since I've been working primarily out of the book, I've been keeping a notebook of movies that aren't in the book, that catch my eye. The purpose of the break is to finally watch some of those films and have some, "whatever I want" time, to get caught up on some other films that are interesting to me, that aren't in the '1001' book. Basically, I've added fifteen films to my Netflix queue and however long it takes for me to receive those fifteen films and watch them, is how long my break is going to be. In between waiting for movies to arrive in the mail, I'll also probably be watching some things on Netflix via their streaming section. For the curious, here are the fifteen "whatever I want" films that I added to my Netflix queue:

Dogville (2004), Libeled Lady (1936), (500) Days of Summer (2009), The Shop Around the Corner (1940), Equus (1977), Manderlay (2005), Saraband (2003), Witness for the Prosecution (1957), Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice (1969), The Squid and the Whale (2005), The Odd Couple (1968), Port of Shadows (1939), Naked (1993), Carnal Knowledge (1971) and Insomnia (1997)

Available to watch instantly on Netflix titles that are catching my eye: Antichrist (2009), Europa (1991), John and Mary (1969), College (1927), Let the Right One In (2008), The Front (1976), Dreams (1990), You Can't Take It With You (1938), Yojimbo (1961), The Hidden Fortress (1958), Sanjuro (1961) and High and Low (1963). I'll more than likely not get to all of these, but these are the ones that are standing out above the rest. Keep in mind, that NONE of the moves mentioned above are in the book.

BEST OF THE 1930's

TOP TEN ACTORS of the 1930s: (in no particular order)
*William Powell (My Man Godfrey)
*James Cagney (Angels with Dirty Faces)
*James Stewart (Mr. Smith Goes to Washington)
*Errol Flynn (Captain Blood)
*Spencer Tracy (Captains Courageous)
*Clark Gable (It Happened One Night)
*Jean Gabin (Daybreak)
*Paul Muni (I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang)
*Thomas Mitchell (Stagecoach)
*Charles Chaplin (Modern Times)

TOP FIVE DIRECTORS of the 1930s: (in no particular order)
*Frank Capra (It Happened One Night)
*Howard Hawks (Bringing Up Baby)
*Michael Curtiz (Angels with Dirty Faces)
*John Ford (Judge Priest)
*Leo McCarey (Make Way for Tomorrow)

*The films in parenthesis are my favorite films from those actors and directors, that I've seen from the book so far*

WHAT NO ACTRESSES?

Instead of ranking a list of the Top Ten Actresses of the 1930s, I've decided to, instead, do a Top Ten Most Beautiful Actresses of the 1930s and post one each day, for the next ten days, starting tomorrow. I figure it'll give the regular audience to the blog, something to look at, although more than likely, the posts will only consist of a picture of the actress and maybe a list of the movies that they appeared in, from the book. Only actresses who were in movies that I watched from the book and from the 1930s are eligible.

SNEAK PEEK AT THE 1940s

The following are the first ten films in the '1001' book, from the 1940s, which we'll commence with as soon as I come back from my short hiatus:

1. His Girl Friday (1940 - Howard Hawks)
2. Rebecca (1940 - Alfred Hitchcock)
3. Fantasia (1940 - Ben Sharpsteen)
4. The Philadelphia Story (1940 - George Cukor)
5. The Grapes of Wrath (1940 - John Ford)
6. Dance, Girl, Dance (1940 - Dorothy Arzner)
7. Pinocchio (1940 - Hamilton Luske, Ben Sharpsteen)
8. The Mortal Storm (1940 - Frank Borzage)
9. The Bank Dick (1940 - Edward F. Cline)
10. Citizen Kane (1941 - Orson Welles)

ONE LAST PIECE OF BUSINESS

For those of you who have been paying attention carefully, you'll remember that we skipped over "Dodsworth", back in the 30s. To date, there has been no new information on "Dodsworth" and right now it still sits as a "very long wait" on Netflix.

That should do it, don't forget to keep swinging by and checking out the blog, as I count down my personal list of the Top Ten Most Beautiful Actresses of the 1930s, over the course of the next ten days. For those of you who are interested, you can follow me on Twitter @ adduvall1984 I usually put up tweets regarding the films that I watched and a short (no more then 140 characters, of course) blurb about what I thought of them.

Thanks again for all of you who traffic this blog.

March 6, 2010 10:17pm




3 comments:

  1. would love to hear what you thought of Libeled Lady & Shop Around the Corner(really surprised this isn't in the book), but I don't know anything about twitter. That's odd about Dodsworth, I've seen it on TCM several times recently. Its really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh & tcm is showing all 10 Rogers-Astaire films on Wednesday & Thursday(I know you're a fan)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wcurry,

    I've seen "The Shop Around the Corner" before and have to say that it's probably my favorite non-Hitchcock Jimmy Stewart movie, with probably on "Rear Window" surpassing it, IMO. Libeled Lady will get here from Netflix tomorrow and maybe I'll swing in here and write you a quick comment of what I thought of it, if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete

Sins of Omission - Entry #94: ZODIAC (2007)

Running Time: 157 minutes Directed By: David Fincher  Written By: James Vanderbilt, based on the book by Robert Graysmith Main Cast : Jake...