Wednesday, November 2, 2011

450. Sedmikrasky/Daisies (1966)

Running Time: 74 minutes
Directed By: Vera Chytilova
Written By: Vera Chytilova, Ester Krumbachova
Main Cast: Ivana Karbanova, Jitka Cerhova, Marie Ceskova, Jinna Myskova, Marcela Brezinova
Click here to view the trailer

COUNTERCULTURE

Well last night was SUPPOSED to be the start of my three film tribute to Sergio Leone, but the old VHS copy that I had, didn't have any sound and thus, I went to a backup movie - "Daisies", in a continued effort to expand my knowledge of 60s cinema.

It's going to be quite difficult for me to write a plot summary for "Daisies", but, as always, I'll give it the old college try. There really isn't any clear plot, but rather the film uses symbolism, vibrant colors and even experiments with sound effects, to tell it's story. The film centers around two young girls, both named Marie, who decide that since the world has "gone bad", then they will also go bad. Their exploits include frolicking in a meadow and picking fruit from a tree, probably symbolizing the forbidden fruit from the Garden of Eden, scamming old men out of free meals, dancing at a nightclub and using scissors to cut up many different objects, mostly phallic symbols. I'm just going to stop there, because any further attempt to describe the happenings of the film, will simply turn into boring blathering.

As far as my personal thoughts go, that's kind of a hard one too. I will say that from the opening scene, I was really dreading the next seventy-four minutes. However, as the film progressed, it actually had kind of a hypnotic effect on me. The mixing of colors, alternating between many different tones and using black and white for certain scenes, really seemed to lull me into this movies' submission. There are MANY absolutely gorgeous scenes and the way that they're cut together and put on display, is sometimes quite magical. There's a certain sexual arousal that comes along with the film too, as we're forced to watch two young ladies frolic around in next to nothing, barefoot and fancy free. In fact, while we're on the subject of sex, I often wondered throughout the film if these two young women were meant to be portrayed as lesbians, or simply two foot soldiers for the cause of feminism, getting across the point that men are the Devil.

On the other hand, the film, at times, seemed very pointless and nonsensical. There wasn't a plot and if you take a look on the special features of the DVD, you'll see that the Czech authorities actually used this film as an example, when citing that many of the Czech films being produced around this time were too confusing and made no sense. It's hard to disagree with them, as there really isn't a whole lot of sense to be made here...or is there? If I were able to watch "Daisies" another time or two and really get a grasp on what the message was and what Chytilova was trying to say, I think it would help me to really appreciate it a lot more and maybe....maybe even consider it a favorite. It certainly appealed to me, in some ways. It interested, engaged, hypnotized and aroused me also and that's certainly nothing to sneeze at. However, it also bored me, at times, and usually made no sense. This is a prime candidate for a film that I would have really loved to watch a second time, but I have an unwritten rule: Films that I watch for the book only get one chance to impress.

RATING: 5/10 We'll call that a review. I know it's short, but the last one was really long, so it evens out, right? I'm going to watch this again someday and I'm certainly going to keep it at the forefront of my mind. Don't be surprised if you see that rating jump two or three notches come recap time. As for now, since I can't decide, we'll slice it down the middle.

MOVIES WATCHED: 343
MOVIES LEFT TO WATCH: 658

November 2, 2011 1:20pm

5 comments:

  1. I remember this one as Czech girls gone wild. Reminds me of Blonde In Black Leather only trippyier. Love when the one of the girls tries to cover up with a butterfly collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To my dissapointment and surprise, I did like this one at all.
    I found the two leads very unsympathetic. Whilst they were supposed to be free spirits, protesting about the world and people around them, they were in fact trying to impose their own pejudices, dislikes on tothers. Anyone not conforming to their authodoxy was to be sneered at and critisised. Rebelion was in the form of destruction.
    Vandalising a luxurious banquet was supposed to be seen as valid political comment, and no mind to the waste involved. I'm afraid I couldn't help but feel sorry for the workerrs who had prepared everyting!
    (But I'm afraid I have a tendancy to do that.. when rebels destroy things - be it the death star or the houses of Parliament (In, say, V for vendetta), I don't see the nasty badies who perish, but the cleaners, the caretakers, the research workers on a late shift... Yes, sad I know.. it's only a movie and it's a metaphore..
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOps. Do you know how I can edit my own comment? I just noticed a serious typo in the first line.. 'I did like' should read 'I didn't like'.
    A rather important error. Sorry.
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda has just caught up with this one.. so i thought i should have a look to see what both of us said about it on yours
    (I live in dread of saying something on yours.. then later saying the posit on Amanda's, thus looking like an idiot)
    But, (let's ignore the typo), I'm surprised how closely my comments match.. without being a carbon copy.
    I still dislike them .. and thus by extension, this film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one kind of stuck with me, to be honest and that can't be a bad thing. I'm sure if I rewatched it, my thoughts wouldn't change, but at the moment I'm remembering this one not being THAT bad.

      Delete

Sins of Omission - Entry #94: ZODIAC (2007)

Running Time: 157 minutes Directed By: David Fincher  Written By: James Vanderbilt, based on the book by Robert Graysmith Main Cast : Jake...