Monday, October 3, 2011

From the Inbox...

A real e-mail from an apparent fan.....

Hi Movieman,

I was reading your blog today and wonder if I could get your opinion on a diet/fitness app I am working on ?

For me, I think the main problem with being healthy is motivation. It's an abstract, overwhelming goal. I think the best way to counter this is to turn it into winnable games and small victories.

So… my app makes living healthy, and fitness into a RPG game, where users earn points, and "level up' as they accomplish their health goals. Everytime they add something healthy like veggies to their diet, they earn points. Everytime they complete a workout, they earn points. As they achieve more and more, they'll level up and unlock badges, and discounts/coupons to rewards like spas, health foods, etc.

There'll be challenges, which will get harder as people level up. And it'll follow a certain structure. First will come changing your environment such as getting rid of all junk food. Then, reducing stress, as stress leads to eating comfort food.
The whole point is to turn it into a game so people will rely less on willpower, and more on fun, achievement, and changing our environment.

What's your opinion on this idea? Would you want to know when I'm done with it? If this sounds too silly, or absurd, just ignore what I just said, hehe =)

Is this a rib? I mean, don't get me wrong, this is ACTUALLY not a half bad idea, but why e-mail the "movieman" on the subject of diet and exercise? Anyway, Christine, if you're out there and you really are reading, drop me a comment here and maybe give me a few more details on why you chose me to share your idea with...........AAAAAAAAAand..........

I'm actually using this e-mail as an excuse to let everyone know that TENTATIVE....I say....TENTATIVE plans call for me to be back on this blog in time for a 2nd Annual Halloween, Scary Movie-A-Thon. Stay tuned in the coming weeks for details as to which horror flicks will be featured, but also keep in mind that this is all TENTATIVE.

And another quick note - I've been tinkering with the idea of getting more in depth with my tags/labels. Maybe adding popular actors names, country of origin, my rating, year, etc. to the labels, for easier access and better navigation to my blog. Any feedback on this idea would be appreciated.

October 3, 2011 2:35am

7 comments:

  1. Yeah! Scary Movie-a-Thon! Do it!

    Jus' kiddin', bro. You do what you like. It would be very awesome to see your thoughts on some good horror flicks, though.

    I'm all geared up and excited for the season and have already taken in "I Spit On Your Grave" (the 2010 version, which I though was pretty good) and am reading Joe Hill's "Heart-Shaped Box". Scary stuff is just somehow more fun this time of year.

    I'm actually planning on doing a sort of Horror Week over at the comics blog.

    How would you do the Scary Movie-a-Thon, were it to take place?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, last year I picked one horror movie from several different decades and watched them all in one day. I just used the closest day prior to Halloween that I had off from work, I actually think it ended up being the 31st.

    Last year's Halloween flicks were...

    40s: Cat People
    50s: Dracula
    70s: Halloween
    80s: A Nightmare on Elm Street
    90s: Ring (Ringu)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny, it almost reads like comment spam, but not. Plus, why would it come via email. Strange.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds awesome.

    I'd definitely be down for seeing what you think of some horror flicks. I'll be sure to "tune in", whatever the case...

    If you don't do the horror flick thing, when will you return from hiatus?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michael - I know, it is very odd. I'm almost positive it's some kind of spam, but it gave me a chuckle, so I figured I'd document it here.

    LD - I don't know when I'll come back. Whenever I get that urge. I can't imagine it will be too much longer, which is why I'm tentatively planning on a Halloween thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome.

    I (and I'm sure many others) anticipate your return!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Dudes you Should do Silence of The Lambs for one of your horror movies

    ReplyDelete

Sins of Omission - Entry #94: ZODIAC (2007)

Running Time: 157 minutes Directed By: David Fincher  Written By: James Vanderbilt, based on the book by Robert Graysmith Main Cast : Jake...