Wednesday, October 12, 2011

470. Bonnie and Clyde (1967)

Running Time: 112 minutes
Directed By: Arthur Penn
Written By: David Newman, Robert Benton
Main Cast: Warren Beatty, Faye Dunaway, Gene Hackman, Michael J. Pollard, Estelle Parsons

LOOKOUT FOR THE BARROW GANG!

For those of you with a sturdy memory, you'll remember that prior to my hiatus I made the announcement that this set of 100 films would be thick with movies from the decade of the 60s. Well we're sticking to those guidelines and "Bonnie and Clyde" fits right in. Since my Netflix will be on hold until tomorrow, I was once again forced into the waiting arms of my DVD shelf and it's worth noting that this film was not brought into the DVD collection by me, but rather my wife. Let's see what I think of her purchase.

The plot is basically a biography of the escapades of Bonnie Parker (Dunaway) and Clyde Barrow (Beatty). The film starts out by showing us the humdrum life of Ms. Parker as she prepares for another day as a waitress at a local truck stop. On her way to work she notices a man trying to break into her mother's car and calls him on it. It's, of course, Clyde and the two strike up a conversation. Bonnie is more excited by the fact that Clyde was about to commit grand theft auto and becomes even more excited when she learns that Clyde has just been paroled from prison and is a known thief. Although at first she doesn't believe Clyde, he promptly proves his thievery skills by holding up a grocery store. Later, Clyde convinces Bonnie to come on the road with him, where they'll be bandits, eluding the law, robbing banks and living high on the hog, because after all, in Clyde's eyes Bonnie deserves the best. Eventually they add to their gang of two, by recruiting service station attendant C.W. Moss (Pollard), Clyde's brother Buck (Hackman) and his wife Blanche (Parsons). The quintet make national headlines and are hunted by every sheriff and policeman within a reasonable radius.

SPOILER ALERT!

This was a film that I really had mixed feelings about, so lets take a look at the good, before we focus in on the bad. For starters, I would say that all of the actors involved did a good job, with Gene Hackman and Estelle Parsons getting my personal nod of approval for best performances of the entire film. Estelle Parsons was just so damn annoying and batty that you couldn't help but get a little kick out of her and Gene Hackman is someone that I've always been a fan of and this film was a fine example of his greatness. Beatty and Dunaway did fine too, with Dunaway actually being quite terrific and perfect for the role of Bonnie. She looked stunning as she paraded around in her signature cloth hat, with bright red lipstick and 60s style regalia. The other really memorable and pretty much perfect thing about this film is the end, when Bonnie and Clyde are ultimately hunted down and murdered and the scene is exquisite, using quick cuts to different angles to build the tension and make it clear to us, the audience, that something is about to go down. When the bullets finally start flying, it's as if death staged a brutal ballet and it was gruesome and gorgeous, all at the same time.

What I didn't care for about this film, was basically everything else. It's not really that I didn't like it, it's just that I didn't care for it one way or another. The whole film seemed to really give me that *meh* feeling and it's as if what I was watching wasn't really all that special at all. For a film about thieves and criminals and a gang of misfits on the run from the law, we really don't see THAT MUCH thieving or running. For the most part we just kind of hang out with the Barrow gang and observe them and at times it gets a little boring. Granted, we do see some chase scenes and a few heist scenes, but they never last long and it's no time before we're watching the gang interact some more, Bonnie screaming at Blanche or Buck and Clyde fooling around. The bottom line is that while there is nothing really BAD on display here, I'd say there's also nothing very stellar either (save for the ending and certain performances).

RATING:
6.5/10 Not good, not bad, but rather, lingering somewhere in that middle ground.

MOVIES WATCHED:
330
MOVIES LEFT TO WATCH:
671

October 12, 2011 7:18pm

4 comments:

  1. Is the phrase you use, "that *meh* feeling" your own invention or something in general usage? I've never seen it before and it took me a while - and having to say it out lound in various ways- to work out it's meaning. But once I had, I thought it great and summed up my reaction to some - including this one- films wonderfully. As in, having just finished watching a film with someone, thet turn to you and say "well, what did you think of that?".. and my reaction is exactly "Meh". It sort of means, "well it was ok, it had moments, but it's not really special is it?. I mean, I'm glad Ive seen it, and the evening wasn't wasted, but I'm not going to phone someone and get excited, and I won't be buying the 3 disc collectors edition Dvd" And *meh* is a lot quicker to type.
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, *MEH* is basically, "it was ok". It didn't blow me away, but it didn't totally disappoint me either. It wasn't great, it wasn't terrible, it just fell somewhere in that middle ground and *MEH* helps to sum up a lot of the films in the book, especially the ones that I initially have high expectations for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... Thing is, I remember when this came out (I was too young to see it I hasten to add), but it made a huge splash. Very counter culture, a film that took sides with the bad guys and made them not bad guys.. "Hey they are not bad, they are sticking it to the man.. robbing banks is legitimate political comment". MMmm..
    I'm going to remember *Meh*.. a LOT shorter to type!
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched this movie recently, it is often regarded as the pioneer of modern cinema. I could never get over the ultra annoying score though

    ReplyDelete

Sins of Omission - Entry #94: ZODIAC (2007)

Running Time: 157 minutes Directed By: David Fincher  Written By: James Vanderbilt, based on the book by Robert Graysmith Main Cast : Jake...