Monday, October 25, 2010

Coming Soon: 10/24/10 - 10/30/2010

Back again for another "Coming Soon" post...Here we go...

HITCHCOCKTOBER FEST! CONCLUDES
*Vertigo (1958)
*North by Northwest (1959)
*Psycho (1960)
*The Birds (1963)
*Marnie (1964)
*Frenzy (1972)

I did a little calculating and sadly it doesn't look like I'm gonna' be able to finish Hitchcocktober Fest! within the month of October and will have to run over into the first couple days of November. But that's okay...we'll manage.

ANG LEE OR 1980s MONTH in NOVEMBER
I can't decide whether or not I want to feature another director in the month of November or make the entire month an 80s month. If I do feature another director, I'll pick one week out of the month and I'll be doing "Ang Lee Week"...which would consist of Hsi Yen (1993), The Ice Storm (1997), Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (2000) and Brokeback Mountain (2005).

I'd like to eventually boil down the decades so that I have a fairly equal amount of movies left to watch from each decade. Currently the decade with the most movies remaining is the 1980s, with a total of 149. Voice your opinions in the form of comments, if you have a preference on what you'd like me to do.

HALLOWEEN DAY
Don't forget these are my Halloween picks and I'm going to try to squeeze in as many of them as possible next Sunday...

*Cat People (1942 - Jacques Tourneur)
*Dracula (1958 - Terence Fisher)
*The Haunting (1963 - Robert Wise)
*Halloween (1978 - John Carpenter)
*A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984 - Wes Craven)
*Ringu (1998 - Hideo Nakata)


The only other thing I can tell you about the upcoming week is that I'm going to try to squeeze in To Be or Not to Be (1942 - Ernst Lubitsch), as it is leaving streaming on Netflix as of 10/27/2010.

However, before I go I would like to direct your attention to another blog. It's called Tales of the Easily Distracted and is written by a great girl and great movie fan Dorian. Check it out...Also check out I Shoot the Pictures, another blog written by a friend of this blog's. They're both great blogs and I'm sure you'll find them a good read.

The "Vertigo" review should be up tomorrow afternoon.

October 24, 2010 9:29pm

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out!

    Well, I can tell you one thing. You will not be disappointed with To Be Or Not To Be. That film will leave you in stitches!

    What films were you thinking of from the 1980's? You could do Shoah from 1985, which is 10 hours, and make that your whole week. You could include the Dutch film The Fourth Man which has an ending that you won't forget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I think I've just decided to do "Ang Lee Week" during one week in Nov. I don't want to hinder myself too much, as the point of going random was so that I could watch what I wanted. I still may do months in the future dedicated to one decade for the entire month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and J.R...You're welcome for the shout out. I can't find "Shoah", but you have me really intrigued to see "The Fourth Man", and after reading the synopsis on Netflix, I may have to squeeze it in soon anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. More adressed to JR .. I've just started 'Shoah'. First disc done.
    What you think? If you do to IMDb, the subnject tends to polarise people rather a lot dosn't it? But I would argue for some heavy editing. Sure, you get one heck of a lot from peoples inflection and tone of voice, in whatever language, so its important to have that, but do we need to have EVERY bit of cross translation from Polish, via the French, and back again? My feeling at times was, 'Hey, this guy is in danger of making the Holocaust boring..'
    Also love 'Fourth man'
    Sorry to have a cross conversation with someone else Movie man, on your site - no offence intended, but as you cannot get Shoah, we will not be able to debate it when you actually review it yourself
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ray, I wrote a review back in 2009 on my site. It was one of my first so I am not sure how good it is, but your free to comment there if you wish.

    I do remember it seeming to wander from a clear trajectory a bit, but not enough to merit "heavy editing".

    ReplyDelete

Sins of Omission - Entry #94: ZODIAC (2007)

Running Time: 157 minutes Directed By: David Fincher  Written By: James Vanderbilt, based on the book by Robert Graysmith Main Cast : Jake...