Friday, November 8, 2013

October 2013 Recap

Still sick, let's do this...

1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die - As seen in October 2013
1) Satantango (1994 - Bela Tarr) 5/10 - Still gonna' split it down the middle, as it's boring as heel but looks like a masterpiece.
2) Crumb (1994 - Terry Zwigoff) 8/10 - Great doc, highly recommended.
3) Forrest Gump (1994 - Robert Zemeckis) 9/10 - Went a touch too high originally. Sidenote: They recently parodied this on Family Guy and reiterated what a bitch the Jenny character is.
4) Underground (1995 - Emir Kusturica) 6/10 - Went too high here too, but a rewatch and a history lesson could do this one wonders.
5) Muriel's Wedding (1994 - P.J. Hogan) 7/10
6) The Last Seduction (1994 - John Dahl) 6.5/10 - This one hinges a little too much on the twist ending and as a result, everything pre-ending is a bit flat.
7) Cyclo (1995 - Anh-Hung Tran) 4/10
8) Through the Olive Trees (1994 - Abbas Kiarostami) 6/10 - Good, but good enough? Not quite.
9) Chungking Express (1994 - Wong Kar-Wai) 9/10 - From an '8' to a '9' and I could see it getting the full monty ('10') by TOP 20 time. Maybe the best thing I watched last month.
10) Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994 - Mike Newell) 7/10 - Good stuff here; harmless, fun RomCom.
11) Strictly Ballroom (1992 - Baz Luhrman) 6.5/10 - Just too cliche for me to go higher. You can predict the whole movie within the first five minutes. It looks like a million bucks though.
12) The Wild Reeds (1994 - Andre Techine) 3/10
13) M*A*S*H (1970 - Robert Altman) 4/10 - Stand by everything I said in my review...
14) McCabe and Mrs. Miller (1994 - Robert Altman) 7/10 - Went just a touch too high originally, but I liked this one a lot more than I thought I would. Ditto for most of the Altman movies.

NON-1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die - As seen in October 2013
1) The Omen (1976 - Richard Donner) 6.5/10 - Stand by original opinion. Good, but not quite right for Peck.
2) Day of the Dead (1985 - George A. Romero) 3.5/10
3) The Collector (1965 - William Wyler) 8.5/10 - Wish this had been in THE BOOK and I'd make sure there was a TOP 20 spot for it.
4) Pumpkinhead (1988 - Stan Winston) 2/10 - Stupid, just stupid.
5) Dawn of the Dead (2004 - Zack Snyder) 8/10 - Went too high, but this was still loads of fun and just awesome to boot.
6) Village of the Damned (1960 - Wolf Rilla) 5.5/10
7) Shaun of the Dead (2004 - Edgar Wright) 9/10 - I'm lowering this one one notch, just because I feel like it and it seems like the right thing to do. Don't get me wrong though, it's a bound to be classic comedy.

TOP 20 TRACKER
1) Open Your Eyes (10)
2) Happy Together (20)
3) Winchester '73 (10)
4) Back to the Future (20)
5) Breaking the Waves (10)
6) Taxi Driver (20)
7) Raging Bull (20)
8) Mean Streets (10)
9) The King of Comedy (20)
10) The Usual Suspects (10)
11) Goodfellas (20)
12) Heat (20)
13) Smoke (20)
14) Babe (10)
15) Crumb (20)
16) Forrest Gump (20)
17) Muriel's Wedding (10)
18) Chungking Express (20)
19) Four Weddings and a Funeral (10/20)
20) McCabe and Mrs. Miller (10)

**REMEMBER: (10) MEANS THE FILM IS A STRONG CANDIDATE FOR THE TEN WORTH MENTIONING SECTION OF THE NEXT TOP 20 and (20) MEANS THE FILM IS A STRONG CANDIDATE FOR THE ACTUAL TOP 20 LIST. BOTH MEANS I COULD SEE IT GOING EITHER WAY**

ME vs. TV

Okay, so we're about a month, month and a half into the new fall season, let's see where we stand: SPOILER ALERT!

1) The Blacklist - Still enjoying this one A LOT and James Spader is excellent. They need to spill the beans though and just reveal that Red is Lizzie's father...we all know it!

2) Hostages - Still liking this one quite a bit too, but they're really grasping at straws to turn this into a thirteen episode series. There are whole episodes that just seem to be made up on the fly.

3) Dads - I STILL find this pretty hilarious and am loving Giovanni Ribisi. I'm in for the long haul, I think.

4) Mom - Still not liking this one THAT much, but I've stuck with it and will probably continue to. My wife loves it.

5) The Millers - Will Arnett is making this show. Without him, I'd be out by now. In fact, without him, I probably wouldn't have started it.

END SPOILER ALERT!

**IRONSIDE and WE ARE MEN got canceled and that's no skin off my nose.

Also, I've given up on "Betrayal", "Sean Saves the World", "Brooklyn Nine-Nine", "The Goldbergs", "Trophy Wife", "The Michael J. Fox Show" and "The Crazy Ones". None of these are anything worth writing home about, in my view.

My wife and I are still working our way through Two and a Half Men from the beginning. We're currently in Season Five and both loving it. It's such an easy and hilarious show to watch, that when we have an hour or so to kill and want something that requires zero thought, we pop it in.

Watching Night Court from the beginning too, though I haven't watched it in a couple of weeks. I'm such a sucker for 80s/90s sitcoms. This one is one of the better ones though. Still in the first season.

We've also began watching American Horror Story and binge watched the whole first season in about twenty-four hours. I LOVED it, so much so that we got caught up with AHS: Coven and are now watching that on a weekly basis. Whoever had the idea for a weekly horror show is brilliant.

Also been watching Coupling via Netflix streaming. I've seen the whole thing before, my wife hasn't. I love the show and am enjoying reliving it. Seriously, if you haven't seen it, give it a try. It's a great introduction to Britcoms and it's SO funny!

Started watching The Killing via Netflix streaming too, but we're only on episode two, so more on that next month.

---

Well that about does it for another month. I'm going back to bed. I'll catch ya down the road...

November 8, 2013  5:03pm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sins of Omission - Entry #94: ZODIAC (2007)

Running Time: 157 minutes Directed By: David Fincher  Written By: James Vanderbilt, based on the book by Robert Graysmith Main Cast : Jake...