Friday, September 2, 2011

August 2011 Recap

I suppose you savages still want an August Recap, even though I'm on a break? Well...I guess. Before I begin, let me say that I'm kind of digging the new Blogger interface. I know it looks no different to you, but it does to me when I'm doing blog maintenance and new posts and such. Also, this is my 400th post!! I had kind of hoped that my 400th post would be my anniversary post in a couple weeks, but it turns out I forgot about the Recap until just a few minutes ago, so this is now my 400th post. YAY!!! It's RECAP time...

1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die - As seen in August 2011
1) Schindler's List (1993 - Steven Spielberg) 9/10 - Still not getting that "full monty", '10/10' vibe from this one, but do we really have to quibble over numbers...It's a good movie, end of story.
2) The Servant (1963 - Joseph Losey) 6.5/10
3) Jurassic Park (1993 - Steven Spielberg) 6/10
4) Saving Private Ryan (1998 - Steven Spielberg) 10/10
5) Saturday Night and Sunday Morning (1960 - Karel Reisz) 5/10
6) The Snake Pit (1948 - Anatole Litvak) 6/10 - I went overboard on some of my ratings last month, it would seem. This was good, but that's it - good. Certainly not '7/10', which I originally rated it.
7) Gertrud (1964 - Carl Theodor Dreyer) 4/10
8) The Producers (1968 - Mel Brooks) 5.5/10 - WOW! Did somebody slip me some firewater? '7.5/10'??? For this? Nah' In retrospect it was a '5.5/10' at best. My trusty commenter Ray had a great point too about throwing in the dumb, blonde with big breasts. You should really read his comments for additional insights into the films I'm watching. He's a clever cat when it comes to cinema.
9) Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961 - Blake Edwards) 8.5/10
10) Bob le Flambeur (1955 - Jean-Pierre Melville) 7.5/10
11) The Color of Pomegranates (1969 - Sergei Parajanov) 1/10 - Just didn't get it, in the slightest. It wasn't artistic or brilliant or any of the colorful words that many have used to describe it. It was simply garbage, if you ask me. But, you know what they say - one man's trash, is another man's treasure.
12) Le Samourai (1967 - Jean-Pierre Melville) 10/10
13) Roman Holiday (1953 - William Wyler) 6/10
14) Mondo cane (1962 - Gualtiero Jacopetti) 4/10
15) Le Boucher (1969 - Claude Chabrol) 7.5/10 - Still not entirely sure if I full understood what was trying to be said with this film. However, it has stuck with me all month long and I've thought about it frequently and as I always say - that's never a bad thing.
16) The Hustler (1961 - Robert Rossen) 6/10 - Still really surprised at how much this one disappointed me. My hopes for it, were so high.
17) Hud (1963 - Martin Ritt) 6/10
18) Hombre (1967 - Martin Ritt) 7.5/10 - Great western. One of many that I hope to find while taking this journey.
19) Cool Hand Luke (1967 - Stuart Rosenberg) 8.5/10

...and I watched no other films this month kiddies. So I'll catch you back here in 30 to discuss the films I watch in September, unless of course, I don't watch any. Take care!

September 1, 2011 11:08pm


2 comments:

  1. Nice roundup, dude.

    I really dig the way you do this. I may have to steal that from you for the graphic novel blog, too. ;)

    I think the only films I've seen out of these are "Schindler's List" and "Jurassic Park"... And, yeah... Effin' "Schindler's List" is a solid 9.17 and your rating is a flarkin' sham!

    Just kiddin', bro. I dig your blog so much I bring a shovel every time I sit down to read it. Nicely done, as usual. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks for the mention.. good to feel apreciated.
    Lately I've been wondering if anyone else ever comments, so good to see the above, even if I don't quite get the point he's trying to make..
    I keep hoping others will pick up on points you, I, or others make and start a conversation.
    What I'd really like is to strike up a dialog with someone else 'collecting' in the UK, and maybe swop some difficult to obtain ones.. I have several serious gaps!
    A recent purchase of a R1 player has helped, but imports are still rather pricy.
    Ray

    ReplyDelete

Sins of Omission - Entry #94: ZODIAC (2007)

Running Time: 157 minutes Directed By: David Fincher  Written By: James Vanderbilt, based on the book by Robert Graysmith Main Cast : Jake...