Sunday, January 26, 2014

Letterboxd + Other Notes

Finally, I made it here to make the little post I've been talking about. I just wanted to make a few notes. Normally, this is the time when I'd be making the regular "FINAL 15" post, however, I'm really not sure what the final fifteen movies will be for this season. As noted many times, I'm working on clearing my Netflix queue and getting rid of a lot of the ones that have wait times. Anyway, let's get on with the few things I really wanted to talk about.

LETTERBOXD

Most of you have probably heard of the social media for movie fans called Letterboxd. It's basically a site where you can track what movies you've watched, write little reviews (if you want), make lists, make friends and probably some other stuff that I have yet to discover. Anyway, I love it and have started using it. You can find me on Letterboxd by click HERE and I encourage you to bookmark that page, because any reviews that I write, that ARE NOT from THE BOOK, will be posted there and probably there alone. I'm also reposting the reviews from THE BOOK over there (minus the plot synopsis'), so it's really a one stop shop for anyone who digs my opinions. Recently reviews for "Life of Pi", "Her", "Rust and Bone" and "Beasts of the Southern Wild" have been put up over there. I'm not putting any requirements on my reviews either - if I feel like writing three paragraphs, I do, but if I only feel like writing a sentence or two, then I do that.

NEW, LITTLE PROJECT

My wife and I were watching the Golden Globes a couple weeks ago and it dawned on me that I'm severely out of the loop when it comes to new movies. I literally had seen nothing that they were talking about and while I'm usually underwhelmed with new movies anyway, I still wished I'd been more in the know, so I could've known what they were talking about. Anyway, my wife and I got to talking about that and one thing lead to another and our conversation went to "how cool would it be to make TOP 10 lists for each year". You see, it's my ultimate goal to have a list ready for any given situation. So my wife and I decided to start a little movie project of our own. We went through and found the most popular, well lauded films of 2012 and are watching them. There's about 40 of them and when we're done, we'll make TOP 10 lists. Then we'll go to 2011 and so on and so forth. This is where the Letterboxd account come in handy, because I don't plan to write full formal reviews of these films, but still often feel like writing SOMETHING. I've made sure that this project won't get in the way of the 1001 project, mostly because I usually watch the 1001 movies when my wife is at work or asleep.

THE DARK PAGES

A huge, huge THANK YOU to Karen Burroughs Hansberry (whom you may remember from her guest posting on this blog) for inviting me to work on the giant size, year end issue, devoted to "The Killers". I wound up writing a (what I consider to be) pretty nice piece about Burt Lancaster, if I do say so myself. You guys can click on the picture that I've included on the side bar for subscription information. It really is a great price for what you get, as you can get a year long, electronic subscription for $10 and if you want a hard copy, there's a great price for that too. I can vouch for the hard copy too guys and I have to tell you, it really is an amazingly put together newsletter and one that I'm contemplating subscribing too myself. Anyway, THANK YOU Karen, it was a pleasure and an honor to be involved.

January 26, 2014  3:43pm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sins of Omission - Entry #94: ZODIAC (2007)

Running Time: 157 minutes Directed By: David Fincher  Written By: James Vanderbilt, based on the book by Robert Graysmith Main Cast : Jake...