Thursday, February 7, 2013

353. Le Trou/The Hole (1959)


Running Time: 132 minutes
Directed By: Jacques Becker
Written By: Jean Aurel, Jacques Becker, Jose Giovanni, from novel by Jose Giovanni
Main Cast: Marc Michel, Jean Keraudy, Philippe Leroy, Michel Constantin, Raymond Meunier

THE GREATEST ESCAPE MOVIE EVER? YES!

"Poor Gaspard"

When I sat down to watch a movie last night, I had no idea, beforehand, that I was going to be watching what will probably end up being the #1 spot of my next TOP 20. Two hours later it was a no brainer and I was left with yet another reason to be thankful for embarking on this 1001 journey.


It's a prison break movie ladies and gents, so that pretty much tells you the just of the plot right there. But, not wanting to be short, I'll fill in a few more details. The film open with Gaspard (Michel) being transferred out of his cell (due to needed repairs) and into a cell with four other inmates: Roland (Keraudy), Manu (Leroy), Geo (Constantin) and Monseigneur (Meunier). At first they're acting a little weird, an unexplainable type of weird, but regardless, they welcome him into their "home". Later, we find out what the weirdness was all about, as the four original cell mates are planning an escape and with the arrival of Gaspard, the four fought with the decision to either cancel their plans or let him in on the plot. They decide to let Gaspard in on the plot and he's all for the plan to bust out. So, the five get to work, with Roland (who's escaped three times before) and Manu as the ring leaders. First, they bust through the floor of their cell, using a piece of the bed frame, which leads them into an underground, sort of cellar. From there, they make their way through passageways and hallways and eventually come upon a sewer system, where a thick, impenetrable concrete wall stands between them and freedom. Eventually it becomes clear that in order to get through the concrete wall, they'll have to dig a tunnel AROUND it, through ten feet of cement. So, each night, the men take shifts going down the hole in their cell, to the place where they have to dig and pounding away with a metal bar, inching closer and closer to freedom.

SPOILER ALERT! 


What a MAGNIFICENT movie!! I can tell you right now that I'm not going to be able to come up with enough good things to say about "Le Trou", so I'll spout about it for a little while and then we'll call it a day. Actually, before I get into the actual gushing, I want to address a plot related issue with this film. Today, right before I came to write the review, I went to do a little research (as I always do) and found that some people are a bit confused by the ending of this movie. Apparently, there are people who think the ending is ambiguous and that we actually never know whether or not Gaspard ratted on his cellmates or not. I did have to stop and put about a minute's worth of thought into it, but came to the conclusion that the ending, for me anyway, wasn't the least bit ambiguous. To me, it's obvious that Gaspard ratted his cellmates, if not only by the final utterance of Roland - "Poor Gaspard". Also, it's clear that when the guards raid the cell, Gaspard isn't stripped and lined up with the others and is instead motioned toward a different cell, where he'll wait a short time before being released (since his wife dropped the charges against him). So that's my two cents on the matter and never, not for a minute, did I think that maybe Gaspard didn't rat on his friends. Also, on the matter of Gaspard, it was clear throughout the film that he stood apart from the other four. You were never really rooting as much for him, as you were the four original members of this makeshift family. Becker masterfully separates the four from Gaspard and toys with our varied feelings about the two separate entities.


Can I be so bold, however, as to present a new idea to this already wonderful plot - an addition, if you will. I think you could've squeezed just a little more suspense out of this movie by having the men actually make their escape, only to be greeted by the authorities when they lifted the manhole cover. I don't know about you, but I was tossing and turning on Gaspard's loyalty, from the time he met with the warden all the way until the guards busted the boys. I wish Becker had strung me along just a little bit longer. Once the boys were almost out, I would've been sure that Gaspard was loyal and then...BAM! Busted! Also, take this idea into account. What if everything had happened just as it had, but we went just a little bit further. Followed Gaspard into his new cell, where the warden followed and said something to the effect of...

"Gaspard, thank you again for revealing to us the plot that your, now former, cellmates were trying to pull off. I want you to know that I intend to make your future at this prison a very relaxed one. If you ever need ANYTHING, feel free to request my presence personally."

"Why thank you director, but, of course, I'll only be here for a short time longer...well with my wife dropping the charges and all."

"Oh Gaspard, I'm so sorry to have to tell you, but, it seems your wife has been persuaded to change her mind on dropping the charges. It seems like your time here will be much longer than we discussed in my office" THE END...as Gaspard realizes that he could've been on the street, in that taxi by now. I think that would've been, to say the least, pretty heavy.


BUT, as it is, "Le Trou" is perfect and on second thought, maybe I wouldn't change a thing, because why mess with perfection. I thought about this movie all day today, kept replaying scenes in my mind, thinking about Roland's last words and seeing those guards reflected in that tiny mirror. "Le Trou" is the kind of movie that makes me want to amend my previous '10/10' ratings for "The Apartment", "Buffalo '66" and "Some Like It Hot", because clearly THIS is what a '10' picture looks like, feels like and is. If this isn't the #1 spot of my next TOP 20, then I can't wait to see the movie that I deem better than this, because I'll be damned if this wasn't the best movie I've seen in a LONG time! Perhaps...perhaps even better than anything I watched all last season. Now that's a bold statement.

RATING: 10/10  Am I blowing my wad right out of the gate this season? I'm officially ten films into this season and already I've had four tens, a nine, an eight and a seven and only one movie that I'd call "not good". All I have to say is keep 'em comin'!

MOVIES WATCHED: 611
MOVIES LEFT TO WATCH:
390

February 7, 2013  4:07pm

2 comments:

  1. never heard of this, watched this on the basis of your review. great flick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to know I'm influencing people..,and to positive results too!! Glad you liked it.

      Delete

Sins of Omission - Entry #94: ZODIAC (2007)

Running Time: 157 minutes Directed By: David Fincher  Written By: James Vanderbilt, based on the book by Robert Graysmith Main Cast : Jake...